Saturday, May 14, 2005

Picking friends wisely

What a fun morning this has been! My son's cub scout pack had a rocket launch at the fairgrounds, and it was a blast! The problem came after my son launched his rocket the second time... he didn't see where it landed and we subsequently lost it. He was so upset, he went to my car and hid (and cried, and got mad, and generally had a wrong attitude). I tried to tell him that other boys had lost their rockets too, but they just shrugged it off and had fun chasing the other scouts' rockets. Nothing I said could console him. After a while, his friend Ian came to the car window and was friendly, kind, compassionate, disarmed Adam, and then told him that the cub master's wife was launching a rocket called the "Barbinator" that had a Barbie doll inside it... "Come watch them launch Barbie into outer space!!" Adam perked up and jumped out of the car like nothing had happened! Amazing! I am so glad my son has learned how to pick his friends wisely! THANKS, IAN!

No comments: