Saturday, October 15, 2005

Fun and exciting week!

Wow... sorry. It's beena while since I've been here to post. What an exciting week it has been! While the teachers at the school I usually substitute teach in have been on strike all week (not good), I managed to pick up three days in the Early Essential Education program at my son's school. We had a very exciting moment in the EEE room! We have a few children with autism, most of them are non-verbal. We were working with one such little girl on Thursday, giving her her lunch. She did really well, and when she was full, she began playing with her food. I took it away and signed "all done". The other teacher sitting beside her said, "Time to clean up." I began singing the cleanup song, and suddenly, as clear as a bell, the little girl sang "CLEANUP". Every teacher in the room (there were 4 of us), stopped dead in our tracks with our jaws on the ground. DID SHE JUST SAY CLEANUP????? And then she said it again!!!!! WOW! What dancing, jumping, hugging and rejoicing we had in that room! We had just been talking about how with autistic children, you celebrate everything... all the little things. But this was a HUGE thing! We celebrated BIG time! It was so rewarding.

Another fun thing... my mom's 60th birthday was on Tuesday. We have a dear family friend in Illinois who wanted to give my mom a plant with 60 blossoms on it. She called me up, and we decided on a mum... far more than 60 blossoms, but it got the point across. She called and gave the local florist her cc number, then I went to pick it up. It was GIGANTIC! It barely fit in the back of my Volvo hatchback! HUGE! On Monday night at midnight, I made the stealth delivery to her driveway at midnight, so it would be there when she woke up. What a fun surprise! She was thrilled!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My sister, brother, and I also planned a card shower for her, she has received at least 100 birthday cards so far, showering her with love. She is thoroughly enjoying that as well.

We have 6 soccer games today in the pouring rain... that should be fun... ahem... not. But it is the jamboree... last day of the season. After today, it's over, and I have my Saturdays back. Can someone say PRAISE THE LORD!?!?!?!?!?!?!? I'll endure two hours of rain to have it over. I love soccer, and so do the boys, but it will be nice to be able to SLEEP IN on a Saturday once in a while.

Well, time to get ready for the day. Blessings to all!

No comments: