Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Heart attack

I must tell you what my darling 2nd grade boy whom I work with daily did to me today. It is a miracle I am alive to tell you! But before I begin, I must give you a little background. This wonderful boy is a naturalist, and for pets in his house, he has 2 tarantulas, 1 snake, 2 mice, 3 rabbits, 3 turtles, 1 african water frog, 1 fish, and he recently got rid of 2 guinea pigs. Okay? And now, the rest of the story....

Today, we went for a short walk around the school for an earned break. As we are walking, he is telling me the following story:

The pet store in Burlington that we usually go to called us this weekend. They have a rattlesnake at their store, and the aquarium tank they keep it in broke (very large tank) and they needed someone to take the snake until they could have a new one shipped (it was Memorial Day weekend, and they couldn't get one until at least Tuesday). Of course, they knew we had the giant turtle tank, so we said we'd take it for the weekend. Well, while they were cleaning out the tank, they noticed she had laid eggs. So they brought them to us in this envelope.



At this point, he pulls a small manila envelope from his pocket marked "Rattlesnake Eggs". Handle with extreme caution. Warning, venom very poisonous." So I say to my little friend, "Poison?? You shouldn't have that at school! We are taking it to the nurses office right now!" He shruggs his shoulders and says in reply, "Do you want to see them first?" He begins to open the envelope, and then adds, "They might have hatched over the weekend. As I begin to peer in, something comes out and makes a horrible sound! I screamed at the top of my lungs, and nearly died on the spot! I'm SURE my heart stopped beating for a couple beats! Here is a picture of what is inside the blasted envelope:



I was fit to be tied! He was cracking up... and if you knew this boy, he doesn't belly laugh all that often. He totally sold me, hook, line, and sinker! Evil child. Just kidding! He's a sweetheart... except today! I STILL LIKE YOU, BUDDY!!!!

Well, I'm falling asleep... here is a final picture (or two) of some baby robins hatching on my sister's porch in Maine today! Bye!


Two hatched, one to go!


Three featherless ... robins???? Yep, that's what they are, ya just can't tell yet! LOL!

No comments: