Thursday, April 28, 2005

Tadpoles

For the past two days, I have been substitute teaching in a kindergarten class that is studying the life cycle of the frog. I arrived on day one to find a very nasty looking tank with a matching odor (phew!!), and quite a few dead tadpoles either floating or resting on the bottom. This is NOT a good way to start your day. I had to quickly scoop the deceased and flush them before the children arrived. Having absolutely NO clue how to care for tadpoles, I just stirred the tank to make the others swim and look alive! The children were fine with this, although they commented on the stench of the water and thought that I should somehow fix this problem. Day two: another dead tadpole and a worse aroma than previous day. "What do tadpoles eat?" I wonder. Since their teacher will not be back for another 3 days, I have to feed them something. So they get to share Goldie's fish food (she's a goldfish, in case you are wondering). They are not looking good. The children are noticing this. Great... the tadpoles are going to die on my watch. What is a substitute teacher to do? So, I tell the students that Mrs. Carter (their regular teacher) is the tadpole expert and she will know exactly what to do! They completely trust Mrs. Carter, so I am all set. I feel free of the responsibility. Too bad I didn't have prior "tadpole" experience! Then I would have known what to do! I have two boys... that's what raising boys is all about! Catching tadpoles and worms and making mudpies, and anything that is generally gross or involves dirt. I think my sons and I will head to the nearest pond and scoop up some tadpoles for investigation...

Blessings!

No comments: