Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Proud Mom moment

Ok... I have to admit I have been struggling with blogging lately. I've been struggling with some things and feeling very discouraged the past few weeks. Every time I try to blog, I stare at the blank box and .... well.... sign out. Because I don't feel like writing about all my troubles and stressed out feelings for the world to see, basically.

Well.... tonight is a very different story. Tonight, I am a bustin' with pride mom who WANTS to tell the world about her amazing son!

Tonight was Adam's band concert. Actually, he is in TWO bands... the regular concert band and the jazz band. Both played this evening. (Actually, he is in THREE bands, because he is also in the 6th grade band, which performs next week). Now mind you... they are not the Royal Philharmonic, ok? But for 4th-5th graders , they were pretty incredible. And the cool thing is... the jazz band learned quite a few songs (that I heard Adam rehearse at home a lot), but I was unaware of the fact that they were focusing primarily on IMPROV during their band practices... feeling the music inside you, and just playing what you feel within the confines of the key the band is playing in. Wow.... there were several members of the jazz band that played IMPROV solos tonight... totally unrehearsed... and ADAM was one of them! I had no idea he would be playing improv solos! That fact alone blew me away, because that takes a level of self confidence that he quite frankly did not possess at the beginning of the school year. And jazz rhythms are quite difficult, so I was duelly impressed.

Then the concert band played, and those were the really fun songs! The theme to Star Wars, the Pink Panther, the Olympic theme song, Doo wah diddy diddy dum, diddy doo, among others... and an amazing song called Clouds that had a really neat thunderstorm in the middle of it, complete with gongs, cymbals, and drums for thunder and lightning! Way cool! They finished off with Let's Go Band, a rousing finish!

But that is not the best part of this story! Here is the best part. After the concert was over, I went up to Jeremiah, the band director, and gave him a big hug and congratulations for an amazing performance. He told me that he was GIVING Adam the school trumpet he has been using all year, because he earned it. He told me that watching Adam's confidence level soar on the wings of the music, and his high enthusiasm, helped make the decision easy. He told me, "Adam is the only trumpet player in this school who can hit a high 'C'... I can't even hit a high 'C'!! He definitely deserves it. It's his to keep." I was blown away. When he told Adam, Adam's eyes got wide and his mouth dropped open. Adam was definitely not expecting that! Made him feel pretty darn good about himself!

HOW COOL IS THAT?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

So... there you have it. A POSITIVE post on northern apostolic mom! Been a while, I know. But I sense a change in my spirit for the better.... I hope not to be gone so long from now on. Blessings to you all!

1 comment:

VTBeanbag said...

WooHoo for Adam! :)