Monday, May 12, 2008

Perilous times and hope in Jesus

I have come to the conclusion that the last days are not really the most "fun" days to be living in. Just one look at the news headlines screams 2 Timothy 3.

1 You should know this, Timothy, that in the last days there will be very difficult times.
2 For people will love only themselves and their money. They will be boastful and proud, scoffing at God, disobedient to their parents, and ungrateful. They will consider nothing sacred.
3 They will be unloving and unforgiving; they will slander others and have no self-control. They will be cruel and hate what is good.
4
They will betray their friends, be reckless, be puffed up with pride, and love pleasure rather than God.
5
They will act religious, but they will reject the power that could make them godly. Stay away from people like that!

It also proves what Jesus himself said in Matthew 24.

4 Jesus told them, “Don’t let anyone mislead you,

5 for many will come in my name, claiming, ‘I am the Messiah.’ They will deceive many.

6 And you will hear of wars and threats of wars, but don’t panic. Yes, these things must take place, but the end won’t follow immediately.

7 Nation will go to war against nation, and kingdom against kingdom. There will be famines and earthquakes in many parts of the world.

8 But all this is only the first of the birth pains, with more to come.

9 “Then you will be arrested, persecuted, and killed. You will be hated all over the world because you are my followers.[b]
10
And many will turn away from me and betray and hate each other.
11
And many false prophets will appear and will deceive many people.
12
Sin will be rampant everywhere, and the love of many will grow cold.

Marriages and families are under attack like never before. Satan knows his time is short. He is attacking mercilessly.

However, I have determined that the ONLY solution for a Christian in these perilous times is to keep your eyes on Jesus! When Peter was walking on the water in the middle of the storm, as long as he kept his eyes fixed on Jesus he was fine. The second he took his eyes off Jesus and looked at the storm swirling around him, he began to sink. If I look only at the stuff going on all around me, I will surely sink and be consumed by the hopelessness and despair of this world. But Jesus is the peace-speaker in the middle of the storm. If I can get myself in a place of prayer, away from the storm, and focus on Jesus, He will speak peace and life and hope into my spirit. No, I don't like living in these perilous times.... but I know that there is a home waiting for me in heaven where there is no more sorrow or despair. Oh how I look forward to heaven, because JESUS is waiting for me there!

One of these days, I'm gonna see the hands that took the nails for me.
One of these days, I'm gonna hold the key to the mansion built for me.
One of these days, I'm gonna walk the streets of gold that were paved for me.
One of these days, I'm gonna see my Jesus face to face.... one of these days!!!
-FFH

No comments: