Monday, December 04, 2006

Festive weekend events

First of all, I start this "festive weekend events" post with an awesome picture of my two sons in their cub scout uniforms.


Why? Because this weekend, in my hometown (well, next town over), a sweet 9 year old cub scout was killed in the Christmas parade after falling off the float and being crushed under the wheels of the float trailer. He was celebrating the festive events of Christmas. My boys didn't know him, but they have lost one of their own. So this picture is my tribute to their devastated family. They are in my prayers.


Next, before I get into the fun stuff, I have to tell you that we went to a wonderful memorial service for a fallen member of a local police dept... Kilo the K-9. He died during knee surgery. He was an 8 year old black german shepherd. My husband and Officer Dave Dewey are good friends, and my husband was also one of Kilo's "chew toys" for K-9 demonstrations. My boys loved Kilo, so going to say goodbye was a fitting end. There was a tremendous community turnout!

NOW for the fun stuff! Saturday morning, the boys got up early, and we made wonderful gingerbread houses. They esp. liked using an ice cream sugar cone to cover with green frosting and m&m's for a Christmas tree. They came out great!




Then came the best fun of all... cutting down our Christmas tree! It was c-c-c-cold out, so we chose and cut our tree in 5 minutes! It is beautiful!


This is Adam brandishing the saw... scary little kid with a sharp tool! AHHHH! Actually, he's not exactly little anymore, and he did a marvelously responsible job handling the saw, thank you very much! :-)

All male members of the family had a hand in cutting with the saw, but dad did the bulk of the work.





Everyone make the "Tim the toolman" grunting sound! **ar, ar, argh** Look at the tree, honey!


Isn't it lovely?? Everyone helped... even Sandy! We saved the angel tree topper for her to put on the next day. (Tree topper not yet picured here.... sorry).







So... that is the story of the festive Christmas events around my neck of the woods this past weekend. Let me know what you think!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It was so heart warming to feel a little bit closer to my precious family in VT. Ah, the memories I have of special Christmas festivities that we shared when Nick and Adam's Mommy was a lettle girl. Those are the gifts of life that never end. You are such sprecial parents because you make every day special for your boys. May God bless you all this Christmas season. See you in VT soon. Love you lots.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful stories Shell. Love the tree.
Sandy L

Tell the boys that Dylan and Josh were asking about them and said to say HI

Michelle said...

Hey Sandy,
Message delivered, and Adam and Nick say HI BACK! to Dyl and Josh! Have a wonderful Christmas!!!!!