Monday, September 25, 2006

Journey into 40

Hello friends! Well, the countdown is over, and I am officially in my 40s. Yikes. I have to tell you , though.... I dreaded the day. But God, my pastor, and my husband, family, and friends made it a wonderful day to remember!

First... we went to church. The children's choir was gathered in the back room for prayer before opening the service with singing. They were being a little goofy and silly, distracted from the purpose before them. So, I sort of laid the smack down. I told them there were people in the congregation that needed the Holy Ghost. I told them there were children in the children's choir who needed the Holy Ghost! I asked, "Do you think God will move and fill someone with His Spirit if we go out there and just sing without really worshipping? If we go out there and goof around? He could, but probably won't. You have a big responsibility... let's give God the opportunity to save someone by lifting Him up!" Then we said a simple prayer. "JESUS, DO AMAZING THINGS WHILE WE SING! AMEN." Let me tell you... those children sang with passion and enthusiasm, and they lit a fire under the seats of the adults! They were on their feet worshipping and singing their hearts out, along with the children! It was awesome! And God DID do amazing things during that service... it was powerful. God is so good. :) My pastor then got up and announced that he would be remiss in his duty as a pastor if he forgot to do the birthday and anniversary celebration today. So I went up and got my birthday candy bar (I paid with forty pennies). Of course, his wife's birthday was the day before mine, so he had double "duty" in that department!

Second... I went home, and did NOTHING! It was cool! My hubby did the dishes for me (LOVE YOU BABE!), and the children played quietly. I played the piano a little, but basically sat around BORED... because I never have nothing to do! Finally, Julie showed up to pick up the boys, and my husband and I headed out for a nice quiet, romantic dinner for two at a wonderful local restaurant.

Here's where it gets interesting. We get to this wonderful italian restaurant, and we are seated in a room by ourselves. The traditional music of Italy is playing softly. The manager brings a vase of flowers with a balloon that says Happy Birthday in bright cheery colors. This is going to be wonderful, I think to myself! Suddenly, behind me, I hear BOO! Happy birthday! It is my son! Both of them. And Julie and Jack. Now, don't get me wrong.... but I was disappointed! I didn't want them there! They were spoiling our romantic moment! This is esp. bad because we did not get to go out to dinner for our anniversary because of the tragic events that occurred in Nick's elementary school, resulting in the death of a teacher, and a second teacher being shot and wounded. So this romantic dinner for two was sort of a combination birthday/anniversary celebration. So I thought. I smiled and acted happy to see them. :>) Then, my step brother and his family walked in. Then my mom and Ray. Then my next door neighbors! OK, I get it! By the time all was said and done, there were over 30 people there to ring in my 40s with me! My husband is very sneaky! I am very impressed at his ability to pull this off. The biggest and most cool surprise was seeing my sister from Maine! How awesome was that??? I love you Bean! So totally cool that you came all the way up to celebrate with me! Remember all the years of having our parties together, because our birthdays are only one day apart? It was like old times!

Once the celebration was over.... it wasn't over. My friend Sandy went to my house to relieve Julie and Jack of babysitting duty, and Jason took me to the waterfront on the boardwalk. We just walked, sat on the swings, cuddled, talked, and enjoyed the peace and quiet, as well as each other's company. Ahhhhh... the little things in life! I realized that evening that I am truly maturing. I didn't even give ONE THOUGHT to receiving gifts or cards or any type of recognition when I woke up that morning. I just had one thing in mind... being with my family.

Thank you ALL for making the beginning of this journey into the 40s a positive and happy experience! I am blessed to have such outstanding family and friends!

No comments: