Wednesday, December 01, 2004

reliving my childhood through my children

Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer... it was the highlight of the Christmas season MANY years ago (yes, I am seriously dating myself). All the kids in school talked about nothing else for a solid week. "Are your parents going to let you stay up late and watch Rudolph?" You always felt extreme pity for the few whose grinch parents wouldn't allow them the once a year treat of staying up 30 minutes past bedtime to watch Rudolph. It was magical! It was just as exciting each year following... like you hadn't seen it in one hundred years!

Ah, the good ol' days before the advent of VHS... now you can watch "Rudolph" five consecutive times in a day in July if you want to, thanks to the wonders of video. It seems to have lost some of the luster and magic that it once held. However, my husband and I have not purchased these timeless classics on video. And tonight we were rewarded for that decision. As we sat and watched "Rudolph" on CBS this evening with our two sons, ages five and eight, we relived the magic as they experienced what we experienced so many years ago! It was beautiful! My five year old was unsure of the abominable snow monster, and my eight year old cracked up at the concept of a "humble bumble" with no teeth! I felt like I was eight years old again!

Frosty is on Friday night... my favorite line? It's when the cute little boy in the green snow suit decides on a name for the snowman.... "How 'bout OATMEAL?"

1 comment:

kellycoxsemple said...

You're so right! We don't have kids to watch with, but we still watch! We haven't caved in to purchasing these Christmas shows on DVD either, because we still like the idea of making special time just to watch them. My parents made a big deal out of letting us stay up late to watch them, but we had to be completely prepared for bed before they even started -- teeth brushed, pajamas on, no exceptions. I definitely believe part of the continued appeal of these shows is reliving the simple innocence of our viewing preparation. Merry Christmas to you and yours, Michelle!