Saturday, December 18, 2004

Making Choices

As I write this, I am sitting in a hotel with my family on a Saturday morning. We are having an early Christmas celebration weekend with my husband's dad and his wife and other members of the family. My oldest son has been anticipating this weekend for weeks. Yes, he is excited about seeing his grandparents after a year's wait, but foremost in his mind was the prospect of sitting in front of the television in the hotel room. I despise the hold that that thing has on him and other children.

Now, I could have exerted my authority and told him "No, you aren't turning it on, and that is final", but I didn't feel to do that. I knew I could expect rebellion from him with that approach. Instead, I surrendered him to God, trusting that the job we have done raising him was sufficient for the task.

I am thrilled to report that as he eagerly turned on the channels with all the shows I have repeatedly told him were not good for his soul, he would watch for about 30 seconds to a minute, then say, "No, this show is not good to watch." Then he would change the channel to another forbidden channel, and the scenario would repeat itself. I rejoiced quietly in my spirit as I saw this! Thank you Jesus!

There is great value in letting children learn to make right choices. If he had not made the right choices, of course I would have stepped in and continued the training. But in the public schools, he is faced with SO many choices regarding right and wrong, that I need to give him opportunities in the home (or hotel) to practice being successful with making right choices.

Time for continental breakfast!! Plenty of good choices there! :)

Blessings! Michelle

No comments: