Sunday, January 04, 2009

Teach me to pray

My God is faithful. My God WANTS me to draw close to Him. He sees my desire to deepen my relationship with Him. In my last post, I told you that instead of reading my Bible through beginning to end for the 8th time, I was going to work on developing my prayer life. My youngest son Nicolas and I stayed home from church this morning as he is just 4 days post-op, having his tonsils and adenoids removed on New Year's Eve day. He's still really sore. So... because of this amazing thing called the internet, I went to church with my in-laws in Denver this morning instead.

Oh my word! What an amazing God I serve! The worship was powerful and the Spirit of God was moving in an amazing way. Then, Pastor Haymon II got up and preached a dynamic message that I felt was directly targeting my heart here in VT, all the way from Denver, CO! The title of his message was "Lord, teach me to pray". I am telling you.... once they archive this message, you should go listen to it!! Click here to go to their website. I'm not sure how long it takes them to upload the message to the archives. But I feel like the Lord was answering my prayer. Pastor Haymon was looking at the Lord's prayer and showing the principles of how to approach the Lord in prayer. Here are the 10 principles he mentioned:

  1. Approach Him with tenderness
  2. Approach Him with reverence
  3. Approach Him with NAME recognition (Jesus)
  4. Approach Him with boldness
  5. Approach Him with humility
  6. Approach Him for what you need (not want)
  7. Approach Him with forgiveness for forgiveness
  8. Approach Him for security
  9. Approach Him for help
  10. Approach Him with appreciation and affirmation.
And at the end, when it says Amen, he told us to replace the word Amen with the word YES! Total agreement! And the entire prayer is one that is about ATTITUDE and RELATIONSHIP. If you don't have the right attitude in your prayer, you can't expect your relationship to grow.

I just can't say it the way this guy said it! ARGH! I can feel the power as I type the words, because I HEARD and EXPERIENCED it. But I'm not really saying it effectively ( how frustrating!).

So... I feel like I am on the right track. I am going to BE the change our church needs. I am going to BE the one who fills the prayer room. I am going to BE the one who fills the pews by inviting people. Like I said in the previous post... I am going to BE a revival of ONE. And I am going to pray that others catch the vision and jump on board! Thank you Jesus!

2 comments:

Grammie Betimes said...

amen...YES!!
Love you

Anonymous said...

awsome michelle!!