Thursday, July 17, 2008

waiting....

What a long 2 weeks it has been in northern Vermont for so many people. Today, the jury was handed the case of Christopher Williams in the double murder /attempted murder trial resulting from the shooting rampage in Essex two years ago. With a blogger inside the courtroom, MANY people were glued to their computers, following every detail. We now wait. We pray for a swift verdict of guilty. We want justice served. We want closure for the families, for the school, and for the communities. He needs to go to prison. For life. Period. He killed my son's 2nd grade teacher, and nearly killed his 1st grade teacher, who survived by a miracle from God alone. He killed innocent people who were deeply loved by their families, friends, and co-workers (and students!)

Yet I am struggling. There are passages in the Word of God that are going to "spoil my party", so to speak. One is Prov. 24:17

17 Do not rejoice when your enemy falls,
And do not let your heart be glad when he stumbles;

What does a Christian do with that when wanting this justice to be served so desperately? He deeply wounded so many lives... when the guilty verdict comes back, how do I NOT rejoice? Another one is Matt. 5:44

44 But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which
despitefully use you, and persecute you;

I am commanded by Jesus himself to love him, bless him, and pray for him. Wow. My stomach churns every time I see his face. I have not forgiven him. THAT is the issue. Hard to love, bless, and pray for someone you have not forgiven. That is MY issue.

So, when the guilty verdict comes in, as I know it will... pray for me, ok? Thanks.

No comments: