Monday, July 21, 2008

Excitement at the in-laws

We had a very interesting day at my in-laws house today, and it was all thanks to this little guy right here.......

Yep, this little acetylene torch caused quite a commotion today. :)
I went up to help my sweet mom-in-law sort through her hundreds of books in the basement, as they are selling the condo and have to be out in less than 3 weeks. So, she and I were sorting the books into several boxes, while Jack was packing up his instrument repair tools, also in the basement with us. Suddenly, the CO/FIRE detector over our heads begins to beep, saying "WARNING: CARBON MONOXIDE. WARNING: CARBON MONOXIDE." So.... Julie begins to fan the detector, hoping this would clear it out and make it stop, like when you fan the smoke out. No. It keeps going and going. I say, "Julie, we need to leave the basement." After much coaxing, she finally agrees. We call the fire dept. They send the fire truck (see below...)

They bring in the meter. The reading (which should be ZERO) begins to beep like crazy. The reading is in the 60s ppm... not so good! The fire chief tells us, "You can't be in here." So, we stand around in the pouring rain for a while... then decide we are actually really hungry, as we have not had lunch yet (3:00 pm). So we go out to Zachary's for lunch. YUM! While we did not get the basement cleared out like we had hoped, we did have some adventure, nonetheless. The torch is now looking for a new place to be stored... NOT in the basement! Julie, it was fun , and I look forward to coming up again next week! LOL! I love you!!!!

3 comments:

Beth R. said...

Thank goodness there was a detecter! (why when I type does it not look right? I'm gonna have to spell check that word,lol)

Grammie Betimes said...

It was a fun day, even though we were forced into the rain and ultimately to Zach's for a late lunch. It was a good laugh for sure! Thankfully that detector worked so well and kept us from harm. Besdies, one of the reasons we sold our condo was to get a "safer" workshop area for Jack!
I love you
Mom - in - law!!

pmd said...

Hey Michelle! Deweybarn here. I know in recent months I told my husband to encourage Jason to consider Ziterbarn. Thank you for your kind words about my Grammy. She lived a wonderful life and was 90 when she passed. I loved delivering a eulogy and was honored to place her urn into the earth.

I hoped to find an email address for you, so forgive me if I ramble. I'm glad the Ziter family escaped unharmed and the problem was contained. Finding a buyer in this market is a blessing.

As I briefly skim yours and Jason's blogs I admire the strength of your faith.

Blessed be to you all.

xoxo
pmd