Saturday, July 19, 2008

a future for our children *REVISED*

I have been thinking a lot about our youth group. It's small. It's VERY small. In fact, it consists of 4 girls. And of those 4 girls, only 1 is totally serious about living for God.... maybe 2. That is disturbing. Disturbing because my son is about to turn 12, and I was really wanting there to be a vibrant and active youth group for my son to move into. However, it appears that God has other plans. It appears that the "up and coming" youth (those who are currently 9-12) are going to have to be the ones to BECOME the vibrant and active youth group. And that is not bad. I am praying that God gets ahold of them and they surrender themselves to Him and allow Him to use them to reach their friends for God, and ignite a revival in our church that is so desperately needed! During camp meeting, we had a tremendous move of the Spirit one night through the children and youth... ages 4-18! Yes, 4! THEY were the first ones to the altar... during the FIRST song of the service! And the Holy Ghost exploded in that place, and the preacher lined these children/teens up on the platform, and had all the ADULT ministry pass in front of them as the youth laid hands on them. I WANT THE ANOINTING THESE YOUTH HAVE! I am not afraid to admit that the young people have something we adults don't have. And I WANT IT! God is moving in our young people. Apathy is a troubling sin of the 21st century church, and many adults I know are struggling with this in their lives. I pray that the Lord will use the younger generation to shake them up!! This is the last wave of revival, and we cannot afford to miss it! I had a discussion with a couple of young people in our church today. We talked about making a decision to be "sold out" to Jesus and choosing to live for Him and serve Him NO MATTER WHAT EVERYONE ELSE AROUND US THINKS, SAYS, OR DOES. Our youth need to get the mindset that, even if NO ONE lives for God, I WILL! Because He is WORTH IT! And heaven is WORTH IT! And peer approval doesn't matter AT ALL! I have discovered this first hand. Since I was put back in the position of worship leader at my church (which, by the way, was NOT where I wanted to be!!!!), I have tried to play music I thought the congregation wanted to hear. I have tried to "please" the people. But they just sit there and stare, as if challenging me.... "entertain me.... make me want to get up and clap my hands and sing." I'm not afraid to tell you it was becoming a salvation issue for me. But when I finally surrendered that thinking to Jesus and said, "I am here to please YOU, not them... then suddenly, the worship just came so much easier! I don't even LOOK at the congregation when I lead service... it can become very discouraging for me. But they are not the main reason I am there behind the keyboard. Jesus is! If our youth could just grasp this concept........

1 comment:

VTBeanbag said...

Don't get discouraged Michelle! God is moving in our church. He is moving in the lives of our young people (not just the ones in the youth class). I truly believe that God is preparing many things "behind the scenes" that can't be seen right now. I believe that when the time is right that out of nowhere there is going to be a huge revival in our church. It is going to be God's doing, in God's time and as a result of all of this "behind the scenes" stuff that no one can see or can believe is happening. Be encouraged, Michelle! God is moving! and He alone is the one that is able to ignite a passion in our congregation! It is coming... slowly, but surely it is coming! :)