Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Church at home

Greetings! We are having some very snowy/icy weather here in Vermont. Our pastor in his wisdom decided to forego the midweek Bible study service due to icy roads. I was sort of glad, because I had an eye appointment today, and they dilated my pupils... I wasn't sure how I was going to be able to read the notes on my music at the piano tonight! But God knew!

I'm actually never happy in my spirit when church is cancelled. I love the Word of God and like being challenged by it. So, we had a little impromtu lesson here at home with the family (Mom, Dad, Adam, Nick, and Sandy). I have been having great difficulty with a couple of boys (ahem) in the following areas: respect, responsibility, and kindness. I've had it up to here (that would be the top of my head) with their horrible behavior here at home. So I suggested a book like Colossians.... Jason in HIS wisdom chose Galatians. Check out how some of this read, from the New Living Translation: RESPECT

13 For you have been called to live in freedom, my brothers and sisters. But don’t use your freedom to satisfy your sinful nature. Instead, use your freedom to serve one another in love. 14 For the whole law can be summed up in this one command: “Love your neighbor as yourself.[c] 15 But if you are always biting and devouring one another, watch out! Beware of destroying one another.


Also, check this out...

19 When you follow the desires of your sinful nature, the results are very clear: sexual immorality, impurity, lustful pleasures, 20 idolatry, sorcery, hostility, quarreling, jealousy, outbursts of anger, selfish ambition, dissension, division, 21 envy, drunkenness, wild parties, and other sins like these. Let me tell you again, as I have before, that anyone living that sort of life will not inherit the Kingdom of God.

We had a little discussion about the need for a peaceful home. We discussed that these types of behaviors are displeasing to God and unacceptable in His kingdom. We also discussed that mom is at the end of her rope.....

Then we got onto the next topic... RESPONSIBILITY

4 Pay careful attention to your own work, for then you will get the satisfaction of a job well done, and you won’t need to compare yourself to anyone else. 5 For we are each responsible for our own conduct.

Yes, the lack of responsibility in my boys is a bit on the frustrating side. I have to admit that Adam is pretty good most of the time. Nick is definitely a work in progress.... with a LONG way to go! When told to do something.... ANYTHING... like clean your room, or put away your laundry, or do the dishes, etc etc. we go through the gamut of responses (with Nick)... disgusted sigh, foot stomping, eye rolling, door slamming, whining, etc etc etc. Yes, he gets the appropriate consequences and it gets done, but real obedience is in the heart, and THAT AIN'T IT!!! So we pointed out verse 5 to him that says we are responsible for our own conduct.

And the third topic we breached? KINDNESS....

22 But the Holy Spirit produces this kind of fruit in our lives: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, and self-control. There is no law against these things!

This was just a refresher on the fruit of the Spirit, emphasis on kindness. The cool thing? While we were discussing this very verse, there was a knock on our door, and it was Elizabeth, our next door neighbor who is Adam's age. She came in and handed each of the boys a Valentine's coupon to Friendlys that says, "I'm sweet on you! Enjoy one free kid cone with this valentine." A perfect example of kindness at the perfect time! I'm not sure how much they heard this evening, but I am praying it sinks into their hearts.

No comments: