Sunday, May 20, 2007

pursuing God, being an example

Before you read this, be sure you are sitting down. Are you sitting? Ok. Here it is. God has been dealing with me for quite some time, and I am finally convinced that this is what needs to happen. It really began when I started praying this prayer... "Lord help me. I desperately want to draw closer to you. In order to do that, I have to spend more time with you. Currently, I have this little problem called the COMPUTER. It steals so much of my time that I could and SHOULD be spending with you. But I am hooked, and lack the self discipline to get myself away from this blasted thing! Please lead me, give me wisdom, and show me what to do. All things are possible with you." That was the beginning. Then, my friend Stu who blogs over at HOUSE CALLS posted a link to this article about a man who got himself OFF the internet/email for a month. It resonated in my soul when I read it, as if God were giving me the wisdom and direction I was seeking. Still, I did not have it in myself to act.... self discipline is tough. The desire to spend time with God began to intensify. Today, my son and his friend from church (Jared) spent the afternoon BEGGING me to play the Game Cube, to which I replied, "It's beautiful outside... go out and PLAY. You can have a few minutes on the Game Cube at 4:00 before we head back to church." From 1:30 on, all I heard every five minutes was, "What time is it? Is it 4:00 yet? How much longer? Waa waa waa!" It about drove me crazy. That is when it hit me like a brick wall.... I AM THE EXAMPLE! My children see me glued to this thing for hours (in the name of blogging, emailing, and watching preaching online) INSTEAD OF PRAYING! I was smitten in my heart. And to top it all off, my pastor preached a dynamic message this evening on TRUE FREEDOM. I want it! True freedom from the bondage this computer brings on me. Therefore, I am here posting to let you know that I will not be posting anything here for a month. I am going to starve the carnal man and feed the spiritual man for one month, and then let you know how it has changed my life. If anyone tries to email me, they are going to get an auto-response with my phone number. If it's important, CALL ME! Please pray for me during this month... it is bound to be extremely difficult, and I know the devil will run his mouth about how I need to communicate with people by email and I need to research this and watch preaching and all that. And my flesh will be craving it... but please pray that my spiritual man becomes much stronger through prayer, and helps me overcome temptation. I truly believe this will be life changing for me and for my children. It can only be good. See you in a month! God bless you all!

2 comments:

Loee said...

Michelle,

I will be praying for you. Please know that your blog does a lot of good. It is sooooo uplifting for me to read it and I will miss you this month. I'm sure that I'm not the only one. Hopefully, God will lead you to find a balance in your life.

Love and prayers,
Lois

Anonymous said...

I miss your blog!