Thursday, June 11, 2009

Hot Pursuit

God is in hot pursuit. He's been after me for a long time, but the pursuit has heated up in recent weeks. He is wanting me to spend more time with Him. I, however, have been dodging the bullet, and catering to this relentless flesh that seems to have FAR too much control over me. In my spirit, I DESPERATELY want to spend intimate time with Jesus in prayer. I WANT IT! And I spend lots of time listening to and singing and playing worship music, listening to apostolic preaching online ALL THE TIME, and listening to CDs of preaching from my own church. Plus I spend time studying for Sunday school lessons. But the call to prayer is loud and relentless, and I long to answer it. I just don't know how to crucify this flesh. Every time I try, I fail. Does anyone have any suggestions? JUST DO IT won't work, because I have tried that and failed. Please help!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

“And I spend lots of time listening to and singing and playing worship music, listening to apostolic preaching online ALL THE TIME, and listening to CDs of preaching from my own church.”


Suggestions:

1. Quit listening to/singing/ playing worship music.
2. Quit listening to/watching online preaching and CD’s

This will cause you to become hungry and have to “prepare” your own food through prayer. It might take awhile, but it will work. I know it sounds kind of weird, but your flesh is not being crucified by all these other activities. By doing these other things you’ve mentioned, you actually end up neglecting your spirit because they become “filler” for what should be your own personal relationship with God. Instead of gathering your own manna, you’re living off someone else’s. The call to prayer you’re feeling is God’s invitation to collect your own.

Anonymous said...

I had my thoughts about how much of your time is filled with media presentation of God's word (much like the first comment states). When you are spending so much time on-line listening to and watching sermons, etc., you are taking away from valuable and intimate time you could be spending with God. Maybe God wants you to seek His guidance and His will for your life. Quiet time with our Higher Power is refreshing and helpful. Try turning off the computer, CDs and any other distractions.

Michelle said...

Thanks for your excellent input, anonymous friends! Yeah, it will be hard, but I will give it a go! I'll get back on the blog down the road to let you know how I'm doing. God bless you both!

NAM